Registration for the 8-9th April 2010 workshop at Brettenham House, London is now closed due to an overwhelming response, however more dates have been added to the programme:
10:00 Wednesday 2 June – 16:00 Thursday 3 June 2010
Netskills Training Suite, Herschel Building, Newcastle University
Register at: www.netskills.ac.uk/workshop/4407
10:00 Thursday 17 June – 16:00 Friday 18 June 2010
JISC: Brettenham House, London
Register at: www.netskills.ac.uk/workshop/4408
These FREE 2 day workshops address the important issue of “search engine optimisation” as well as other related topics and concerns. Participants will gain a perspective on how basic guidelines, simple content planning, social media activities and use of metadata, all contribute to the effectiveness of a web site. These courses are provided by the Strategic Content Alliance (SCA) and JISC Netskills.
Read on to find out more.
- How to improve search and discovery of online resources
- An exploration of technologies such as HTML5 and CSS3
- Emerging search engine enhancements and techniques
- The importance of the semantic web and semantic mark-up
- Accessibility issues and access management
- Content integrity and reaching the right audience
- Metadata and its significance, particularly RDFa
- The use of social media including cloud and blog services
Who is it for?
These events are aimed primarily at participants from universities and higher education but is also of interest to those from archives, museums, health, public service broadcasting, schools and cultural heritage. No particular technical knowledge is required as a prerequisite.
During the workshops, delegates will have:
- Considered the impact of emerging technologies on how content is accessed
- Investigated web site visibility and traffic analysis including monitoring and checking
- Evaluated the potential of the social web
- Explored the evolving web and near future scenarios
How much does it cost?
Attendance at these 2 day workshops are FREE for appropriate staff from universities, FE colleges, archives, museums, health, public service broadcasting, schools and cultural heritage. To claim a free place select the Voucher option and in the text box enter the code: scaseo2. Failure to attend both days of the workshop following confirmation of a booking will result in a cancellation fee. These workshops include lunch, plus morning and afternoon refreshments.